A C T I V I T I E S
Here is a list of activities that we are currently engaged in for the school year. This page is updated frequently, so do check back often! Feel free to contact us for any inquiries about our programming.
- Chemistry-analyzing periodic table, understanding subatomic particles, exploring stoichiometry
- Making solar ovens-
- Growing slime mold
- Design and built speakers that amplified sound the loudest-compared and predicted what model would be most effective. Tested models by using a sound meter to measure the amplification of a constant tone
- Erosion models-competition to most effectively prevent erosion of sand by water using various materials
- Built and launched rockets in teams, predicted and created which rockets would fly the best/longest and why
- Explored Biofuels- Built an apparatus to measure the production of CO2 gas
- Forensic Science
- Civics, World and US History integrated into daily Current Event class.
- Big History and individual projects based on need for credit recovery
- Individualized reading
- Descriptive writing
- Novel excerpts and reactions
- Tone, characterization, setting, theme
- Personal narratives and poetry
- ReadTheory.org-all students take periodic leveled lexile reading comprehension tests.
- Individualized plans for each student
CommitteEs and groups
- Tall Ships Portland
- Cooking Matters
- Screen Printing
- Katahdin Day Planning Committee
- Chess Club
- Veterans History Project
- STEM/Robotics Explorers
- Website development and computer creation
- Portland Community Squash
- Community service
- Drone Club
...and much more to come!